Frequently Asked Questions

  1. What do I do if my child needs to take medication at school?
    1. Daily medication - This form must be filled out and signed by the physician and the parent. Please remember that an adult must bring in any medication and that all medication must be in the original bottle.
    2. This will also need to be done for any "as needed" medication that will be stored in the health office for the school year. I can only accept a months supply of any medication.
    3. Short tem medication such as an antibiotic- When you go to the doctor for your child, please ask for a note for school which includes the name of the medication, dosage and time to be given. The parent will also need to write a note giving permission for medication administration. Please only bring in the amount needed for school. Pharmacies are very good about providing two prescription bottles so you will have one for school.
    4. Over the Counter Medication - This form is sent out with the school packet for fall. If your childs form did not make it back to school for some reason or you want to make a change, please feel free to print out this form, sign and date the form and return it to the health office. We only stock the items on this page. If your child needs a different over the counter medication, you will have to provide the medication (in the original container) and give written permission that includes dosage and timing about giving this medication.
    5. Medication for Severe Allergies (Epi Pens) - If your child has a severe allergy (such as peanut, shell fish, bee sting), you will need to have an IEMP for Allergies. As with all prescriptions, this form must be filled out and signed by the physician and the parent. Also the IEMPs for allergies is copied and sent with a child on a field trip. The Epi pen must be provided by the parent. Please note that Epi pens deteriorate quickly and should be replaced as needed when they expire.
    6. All medications forms are only good for that school year. All forms are available on the nurses website under "Forms & Resources."
  2. My child has Asthma. Can he/she carry his/her own inhaler?
    1. The state requires that all children who have an inhaler have permission to have one at school from the doctor, and that the doctor indicate that they may carry the inhaler. The Asthma Action Card form must be updated yearly and signed by both the parent and the physician. These forms are also copied and sent on field trips so that the teacher has the most up to date information. Even if the physician signs off on a student carrying his/her own inhaler, it is a good idea to keep a back up inhaler in the health office. Please be sure inhalers have your childs prescription on the container. Also, it is a good idea to check the expiration date to be sure the inhaler will be good through the school year.
  3. My child has a fracture, was in the hospital or had surgery.
    2. If your child has a cast, NO gym. Even if the cast is on an arm, the child may fall and hit the cast. Also, when in gym the cast could accidentally hit and injure another child. When the cast is removed, please ask the doctor for a note for school stating your child is able to return to all activities or if there are any activity restrictions.
    3. Hospitalization or Surgery: Please let the health office know about surgeries/hospitalizations before your child returns to school. This way we can make any accommodations as requested by the physician. Your child should have a note from the doctor stating they may return to school and indicating activity restrictions if any.
  4. My child had a fever last night but they are fine this morning. Can he/she attend school?
    1. Children should be fever free for 24 hours before returning to school without fever reducing medication such as Tylenol or ibuprofen.
    2. Also if your child is on an antibiotic for a contagious illness such as strep throat or conjunctivitis, he/she must be on the antibiotic for 24 hours before returning to school.
  5. Can the nurse tell if me if my child has strep throat?
    1. No. The only way to diagnosis a strep throat is to have the test done at the Doctors office.
  6. Will my child need any new immunizations to attend Dunbarton Elementary School?
      • Dunbarton Elementary School follows the NH Department of Health and Human Services Immunization Schedule. This schedule is updated annually and is available on line.
    1. Please feel free to call the health office with any questions. It is always helpful if you can provide the health office with a copy any updated immunization record from the physicians office even if the immunization is not required by the state.
  7. My child is starting school in the fall. What health forms does the health office need?
    1. Each child must have a complete physical examination within one year preceding first entry to school. A copy of this exam must be provided for the childs school health record along with the most recent immunization record. If your child has any special health needs (ex. Asthma, allergies, diabetes), please contact the school nurse for any additional documentation that is needed for the best care of your child at school.
  8. My child has a medial diagnosis of a dietary need. What do I need to have at school?
    1. Please call the Health Office. There are new state forms to be completed which include food allergies and intolerances.
  9. My child is ill and will be absent.
    1. PLEASE call and let us know. DES has an absentee line where you can leave a message if it is before school hours. The school nurse is available at ext 205 for calls regarding a child's illness/absence.
  10. Should I call the school nurse?
    1. Please feel free to call me anytime. 774-3181 ext. 205.